Sunday, June 1, 2008

Virtual Reality

We are seeing Virtual Reality blending into Reality. From Disney animation through the Final Fantasy Series animations become better and better at modeling real life. In the single player gaming worlds like Oblivion, F.E.A.R. and even Grand Theft Auto, the computer graphic produces a stark photo-realism that is both amazing and creepy. Real time technologies in the new graphic are bending the visuals to mimic our flawed vision making virtual worlds almost indistinguishable from real life. What we see in Second Life is only the edge of that world.


Scent and Taste printers are already being produced and experimented with. There are also mechanical Internet remote control genitals and sex toys. What we can imagine we humans can create. (That is scary sometimes) Imagine attaching these new technologies to all the emotional and sensual connections that manifest in virtual worlds like Second Life. What if avatars can return the physical sensations they share in cyber relationships?  Those with good sensual imaginations may never have need of these technologies, but consider the masses as they continue to migrate to virtual worlds leaving their bodies attached to their computers through newer and newer technologies. How is this effecting the evolution and growth of humanity? If this is an evolution, who is archiving and recording the history of these brief cities, regions or countries.


Those that have become emersed in Virtual Worlds quickly understand what is felt in world is real. It it can effect our first life. It is again part of  that rewiring I menteioned in my previous post. It is a part of evolution. I have noticed the same things happening to me. As Lazlo adjusts to his world I find my perceptions in this world adjust also. Not so much the same way as Lazlo's but more like I an infinitesimal tuning how I see and relate to the world. The picture seems a bit sharper. What we see in Second Life sometimes has real effect on my our first life. Not just sleep deprivation but we carry back some self esteem issues good or bad. We may even become more sensitive to first life social interactions that we might have ignored in the passed. This experiment called Second Life has taken virtual worlds to the point of being self sustaining real worlds existing in parallel virtual space. Each day it is laying down a larger and larger array of virtual reality. It is a world that folds in on itself and turns inside out larger than it was before. I don't know about you but to me this is very exciting stuff. 

I have no idea how or why we choose our friends and develop attachments in Second Life but then I am not totally sure how that works in or first life. I have found my own Small circle of friends to share my Second Life with yet Second Life is also about discovery, meeting people and making new friends.  I guess that is like our First like too but here we are only limited by our imaginations. 

No comments: